LED’s are the future of light and are growing in demand by the day. There are many advantages of replacing conventional lighting with LED’s and the following are a few facts that many of us are not aware of.
- An LED or the light-emitting-diode is a semiconductor device that emits light upon passage of current, and this technology is also referred to as solid state lighting. The modern LED bulb can be six to seven times more efficient than traditional incandescent bulbs and are capable of saving over 80% energy.
- LED bulbs, depending on quality, could have over 25,000 hours of useful life compared to traditional bulbs that have a shelf life of about 1000 hours. This means that even if you leave an LED bulb on 24 X 7, they will last over 3 years. We cannot say that for an incandescent bulb, leave alone the heat generated and the power consumed.
- The reason for the superior efficiency is in the technology, where an LED converts most of the consumed energy into light and emits almost no heat as compared to incandescent bulbs that use90% of the energy to generate heat.
- LEDs can be used for a wide range of applications like traffic lights, vehicle brake lights, TVs, daylight running lights for vehicles and display cases owing to their resistance to breakage, compact size, ease of maintenance and their ability to focus light in a single direction.
- LEDs are non-toxic and contain no mercury, thus having microscopic environmental impact compared to the incandescent bulbs. In this respect they are far better alternatives in terms of going green as compared to CFL’s (compact fluorescent lights which are looked upon as a cheaper alternative today. They also compare better to the compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) which are an alternative today.
- LED technology has developed rapidly over the past decade and is still developing at a furious pace, mainly in the areas of using new materials and extracting more light. This research, in the future, will enhance LED effectiveness and the use of new materials will reduce the price impact.
- LED industry, the world over is going through a sea of change. Not only technology wise, but also the continued rise in awareness about conservation and usage of sustainable technologies has affected the LED industry positively. The resultant consumer demand shows that the technology is here to stay.
- In India, the LED industry has penetrated the rural and remote areas where more people depend on solar energy for domestic as well as social lighting needs. The advantage of low consumption of LED lamps have made them ideal for lighting in these areas, since power generated from sun and wind are limited.
So, it is time all of us made the shift to LEDs, reduce power consumption, use better lighting and decrease the after effects on the environment.